Tuesday 26 February 2008

Combat Patrol

If I’m reading various message boards etc. right (and I apologize if I’m getting a few things wrong – as I still don’t own the current rulebook, and only have the codex), there is something called a ‘combat patrol’ game that allows you to field a relatively low number of models without having to adhere too strictly to the force organisation chart.

From what I can gather, these types of game are typically 400 points, and the only real compulsory models you must field are one ‘troops’ choice.

So with that in mind, I have put together a basic army list with the miniatures I have painted thus far:

- command platoon - 96 points -
Command squad with junior officer (bolt pistol) & mortar
Sentinel support squadron (1 sentinel with multi-laser)

- elites - 65 points -
5 man hardened veteran squad with plasma gun & meltagun

- infantry platoon - 225 points -
Command squad with junior officer (bolt pistol) & lascannon
1st infantry squad with heavy bolter & flamer
2nd infantry squad with autocannon & grenade launcher

TOTAL 386 points (35 troops & 1 walker)

As you can see, I’ve still got a few points to spend (maybe on doctrines, or upgrades, or whatever), and it might not be optimised for competitive play …but I at least can play now – assuming I can find a friendly opponent.

And yeah, I know I really need to get a copy of the rulebook – but with all the rumours pointing to a summer release of 5th edition, it seems rather pointless wasting my money on a book that will soon be outdated (especially since money is a little tight right now, and could be better spent on more models).

No comments: