Friday 29 February 2008

So What’s Next?

Now that I have got a 400 point combat patrol army ready to go, I think I should probably start thinking about how I intend to build up a larger force.

So for starters I need to get a proper 2nd ‘troops’ unit sorted out …and for that I have a few options.

The first option would be to build up 2nd infantry platoon (consisting of at least another 25 men). I currently own enough (unmade) models to build one 10-man squad, and I could use the lascannon I’ve already got painted (from the 1st platoon command squad – replacing that with a mortar team) as the heavy weapon, and have a plasma gun special weapon guardsman (from a pack of 2 cadian special weapons troops I purchased earlier in the week). However this option means I need to purchase a lot more infantry models to fill out the rest of the platoon.

The second option would be to include an armoured fist squad. I could do something similar as above to create the squad out of models I already own (i.e. use the lascannon & plasma combination of weapons) – but then I need to purchase a chimera tank to complete the unit.

The third option would be to buy some proper metal ‘stormtrooper’ miniatures and use the ‘grenadier’ doctrine that would allow me to select them as a ‘troops’ choice. However, according to a number of internet rumours, there are supposed to be some plastic stormtrooper models being released soon (well… sometime this year anyway) and I think that I would like to hold off buying any of the current metal range until I have got a look at the newer (and cheaper) plastic stormtroopers.

The fourth option would be to build a conscripts platoon. These platoons consist of at least 20 men (so I’ll still have to buy some more models) – but I was hoping to eventually build one of these platoons from old plastic imperial guardsmen (just to give them a different look) as I still have a bunch of these lying around unassembled and unpainted (though not enough to make a full platoon – hence why I am keeping a close eye on eBay for a few more).

So… at the moment I’m leaning toward the first or second option, and probably favouring the ‘armoured fist’ solution - as that means I get to try my hand at painting a tank model. In either case I can start assembling and painting the infantry figures already in my possession.

No comments: